Mikaela I. Gross is an associate in CDAS’s entertainment practice group and a transactional attorney who counsels clients primarily in intellectual property, entertainment and media law. Her practice focuses on television, film, publishing, podcasting, digital media and photography, including the pre-publication and pre-broadcast review of audio, visual, audio-visual and printed content.
During a secondment at A+E Networks, Mikaela worked in the Production & Content Risk Group where she conducted pre-publication and pre-broadcast vetting of content from the pitch and development stage through production, marketing and release. While there, Mikaela performed a variety of functions that continue to inform her practice:
- Vetted scripts based on true stories/events for Lifetime movies and History scripted series;
- Conducted pre-publication review of the A+E Real Crime blog and several series companion podcasts;
- Reviewed a number of series and movies for fair use and worked with production company counsel on same;
- Reviewed marketing materials for various releases; and
- Reviewed background checks, medical reports and psychological screenings in connection with casting for unscripted series.
Prior to joining CDAS and attending law school, Mikaela was a producer, project manager and licensing agent at the photography agency Art + Commerce, which represents some of the most influential image-makers in fashion, travel and lifestyle. There, she represented emerging and established photographers and photographers’ estates for commercial and editorial licensing, special exhibitions, and product collaborations.
Mikaela graduated from Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law with a concentration in intellectual property. While in law school, she participated in The Indie Film Clinic, where she provided pro bono legal counsel to independent documentary and narrative filmmakers.
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, JD, cum laude
- Cardozo Arts & Entertainment Law Journal, Senior Articles Editor
- Bard College, BA
Associations and Activities
- Copyright Society of the USA (CSUSA)
- Media Law Resource Center (MLRC)
- New York City Bar Association