Sara Gates is an associate in the firm’s Litigation practice group and has represented clients in copyright, trademark, and commercial litigation matters in both federal and state courts.
Sara also regularly counsels clients on copyright and trademark matters, including copyright registrations, recordations and termination notices, and trademark searches, filings and responses to office actions.
Sara worked as a law clerk for the General Counsel of the U.S. Copyright Office and prior to law school, was a writer and editor at The Huffington Post where she covered a broad range of topics from international news to scientific research.
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- Fordham University School of Law, JD
- Fordham Intellectual Property, Media & Entertainment Law Journal, Editor-in-Chief
- New York University, BA
- Second Circuit Limits Copyright Damages to Three-Year Period Before Suit, Copyright Alliance, June 18, 2020
- Supreme Court Rejects Willfulness Requirement for Profit Awards in Trademark Infringement Actions, Media Law Resource Center (MLRC), May 6, 2020
- Copyright 2020 Law & Practice USA, Chambers & Partners (co-authored with Nancy E. Wolff, Scott J. Sholder and Elizabeth Altman)
- “Going Viral” by Stealing Content: Can the Law Cure the Problem of Viral Content Farming?, Fordham Property, Media & Entertainment Law Journal, 2016
Drafted amicus briefs on behalf of industry organizations in:
- Google LLC v. Oracle America Inc. (fair use; U.S. Supreme Court)
- Chronicle Books, LLC v. Audible, Inc. (in support of publishers’ motion for a preliminary injunction; S.D.N.Y.)
- State of Georgia v. Public.Resource.Org, Inc. (copyrightability of annotated legal codes; U.S. Supreme Court)
- Rimini Street, Inc. v. Oracle USA, Inc. (interpretation of “full costs” in the Copyright Act; U.S. Supreme Court)
Associations and Activities
- International Trademark Association (INTA), Young Practitioners Committee (2020-2021)
- Copyright Society of the USA (CSUSA)
- Media Law Resource Center (MLRC)
- New York State Bar Association (NYSBA)