Aileen Atkins is a transactional Partner in the Firm, primarily practicing in the areas of Corporate Formation, Finance and M&A; Technology; Advertising and Marketing, Venture, Employment, and Entertainment, where she represents and advises businesses primarily in digital media and related software and emerging industries.
Aileen has consistently been recognized by clients and peers as a skilled negotiator and as a first choice for outside legal counsel – and often general counsel. Working as a general strategist and a business development resource for her clients, she identifies and develops corporate opportunities and finds solutions that will serve their best interests. Her practice is comprehensive, as Aileen handles all legal and business affairs for many of her clients, including agreements, issues and policies related to sales, marketing, partnerships, events, human resources, financial relationships (credit line, third party investors), corporate documentation, shareholder relationships, IP protection and licensing.
Aileen’s deep experience with digital media and technology companies includes structuring and negotiating business relationships such as content licenses, distribution arrangements, marketing deals and technology partnerships. She has represented clients in various industry-wide efforts, including statutory publishing negotiations in the US and Europe and world-wide standard-setting for consumer rights to digital video. In addition, she negotiated a wide variety of marketing and technological integration deals for businesses, and developed and implemented licensing and distribution strategies and policies related to content, publishing, privacy and customer relationships for music and video.
Prior to joining CDAS, Aileen handled a broad array of legal matters such as M&A activity, securities law matters including SEC filings, disclosure and compliance, litigation, real estate, insurance, intellectual property, employment issues, corporate governance and other legal issues as in-house counsel. Additionally, Aileen served as in-house liaison to a public company Board of Directors, where she was responsible for the due diligence, structuring, negotiation and execution of the sale of several companies, and played an instrumental role in the integration process in all areas of the business. Aileen also served as head of Human Resources, responsible for ensuring that key talent had been identified for succession and business success, and architecting compensation to promote retention of key talent in the digital arena.
Aileen is currently Co-Chair of the Business Development Working Group of musicbiz.org (and serves on its Legal Steering Committee and Music Startup Network) and is a Member of the Media Council at The Paley Center for Media. She is also a co-founder of Women in Digital Media, a professional networking group of over 1,000 women executives throughout the United States.
- Best Buy, Co., Inc
- Napster, Inc.
- Universal Music Group
- Atlantic Records
- Latham & Watkins LLP
- Harvard Law School, JD, cum laude
- University of Pennsylvania/The Wharton School, BS, summa cum laude
- Numerous speaking engagements throughout the US and Europe over the past fifteen years, primarily covering topics related to digital media and technology, startup strategy and business approach, music-related copyright issues and international/cross-border digital rights
Associations and Activities
- Business Development Working Group, musicbiz.org (formerly NARM), co-chair
- Legal Sector Steering Committee, musicbiz.org, member
- Digital Media Association (DiMA), former board representative (Best Buy and Napster)
- DECE (Digital Entertainment Content Ecosytem), former board representative (Best Buy and CinemaNow),
- Women in Digital Media (2006), a professional networking group of approximately 1000 women executives throughout the US and Europe, co-founder
- Included in Variety’s “Women’s Impact Report – NY,” 2017
- Included in the “New York Metro Super Lawyer” List, Super Lawyers, 2015-2016